Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My weekend sucked so bad I am actually relieved to be at work this morning. WTF! Seriously.

Hubby and I spent the whole weekend dealing with Apple technology horror. We each got an iPhone last week, so we decided to get wi-fi for the apartment so that we could do all our updates and sync the phones and have a good internet connection. Thus began major fiasco #1....

We called Comcast Saturday morning and they said we could save a hundred bucks and have internet the same day if we picked up the kit and installed it ourselves. We drove out to the nearest cable office and...oh. my. god... I had a major flashback of waiting all day in the county welfare office with my mom as a kid. Just a waiting room filled to capacity with the dregs of humanity, with listless, sallow-faced, semi-human punching bags staffing the counter. I'm just glad it didn't SMELL like the welfare office, I think I would have just aborted the mission.

We got our stuff home and Hubby started setting up and encountered a problem, nothing would work. So Hubby called Comcast again, and the phone rep said we were missing most of our kit. Real nice. And by now the local office was closed so we had to drive 20 miles to some god-foresaken sprawling neo-suburb to get to an office that was still open at four on Saturday. Luckily, though, we were the only clients there so we were in and out in five minutes--even with the rep checking all the equipment for us. So home again home again jiggedy-jog to finish setting up the wi-fi.

Thus began major fiasco #2....

Hubby was on the phone with his brother in Portland, OR for nearly two hours trying to get the cable to connect with the laptop and trying to update software. LOOOOONNNGG (tedious/boring) story short, Hubby got the computer to connect with internet, but couldn't set up security for some reason. Then, since we hadn't updated any software in like a year, when he tried to install the most recent update, the hard drive wigged out completely and all we could get was some black administrator login screen. We were pretty sure we killed the fuckin' thing. And I was ready to kill Hubby for taking his frustration out on me all day long, so we just called it quits and went to bed.

New day, new fiasco....

After FIVE HOURS in the apple store, we went home with a mended computer, a stern warning that the machine will likely fail entirely soon, and an external hard drive to back up all our stuff. We nearly went home with a new computer and $1500 more in debt to his parents. I wish I could tell you this is the end of the story, but of course it's not. We were up entirely too late Sunday night backing up the total contents of the laptop--estimated at 49 minutes but actually ran for over three hours. Once that was finished, we updated iTunes and the operating system.

We perched our selves in front of the laptop and eagerly plugged our shiny new iPhones into the iBook...and...NADA. Fuck this!! I stayed up till midnight on Sunday for nothing!! I gave up and went to bed. Alone. Hubby was like a dog with a bone, he wasn't ready to give it up. That foolish man stayed up past TWO in the morning futzing and reinstalling until he got the two gadgets to work together. Jeez. But it was kind of fun to get up in the morning and put music into my phone for the bus ride to work.

Unfortunately, that was the best part of my day yesterday. Right after breakfast, I realized that more of my broken tooth had broken off and I was feeling a slight ache. Shit! My fifteen minute break turned into twenty-five trying to find the number for the dentist and calling in to make an appointment. The must have been some sort of planetary alignment occurring because they were able to get me in same day AND I was able to get out of work AND my buses connected on the way home. But then the planets continued along their path because when I stopped at the drugstore for ibuprofen on the way to the dentist, I noticed that both rear tires were nearly flat! I knew I was cutting it close, but I stopped to put some air in. I put in as little as I could get away with and hopped in the car. At this point I was making good time, but once I got back on the road, I was so nervous that I went the wrong direction and ended up struggling to find my way out of the airport passenger drop-off! I called to let them know what happened so they didn't think I wasn't going to show up, and in the end I was ten minutes late.

They were SO nice there! I'm totally going back even though I am completely dentaphobic (is that even a real term??). I have had such bad experiences with dentists my whole life, so this was a real treat--aside from the blinding pain of the drill before I was fully numbed up, but when I yelped, he stopped and gave me more Novocaine and waited another ten minutes. WoW! I have had dentists in the past who have told me, "I gave you enough Novocaine, you shouldn't be able to feel that," accusing me of LYING about being in pain. This guy was smart enough to figure out that I've got really sensitive teeth, and if I can still feel the cold air from the hose I wasn't numb enough. So he kept testing with that instead of the drill.

I layed around for the rest of the day waiting to get the feeling back in my face. The shot of Novocaine to the back of my jaw made my whole tongue numb and I kept sticking it out to make sure I didn't swallow it. The told me not to eat till the feeling came back so I wouldn't bite it, but I had some applesauce anyway to get the terrible taste out of my mouth. I finally got my face back at like 7:00.

Please God let the rest of the week be easy.

No comments: