Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What. A. Bitch!

Want to hear something funny? A woman from a headhunting agency called me and I got her all riled up. She described a management trainee position to me, one that required two weeks’ training out of state. I asked what company it was with, and she refused to disclose the information. So then I asked her what kind of staffing agency it was, do the companies pay for the service, or the candidates? She replied that the agency was "full service" where some jobs are one way, some the other. But I have met with an agency like that before, and NONE of the jobs are paid by the companies--I mean, really, what company would, if given the choice?

After I told her that as a rule, I refuse to give anyone money to get a job, she told me that I've been out of school too long to start something new, and that the longer I am out of school, the less valuable my degree becomes. She said that there are no jobs in editing and writing, and that she bets that if she calls me in six months that I won't have landed a job in that field, but that she knows I won't admit it. She added that she wouldn't hire me anyway because it's clear that I lack direction (because I took 15 months to decide whether to go to grad school and what career track I want to pursue) and because I am not flexible (because I will not fork over--literally-- thousands of dollars to get a job that I might not even like)!

Huh. The minute I land a writing or editing position, I am going to send her my business card or a copy of a job-offer letter (Rule #1: get it in writing) with a note attached that says, "You. Were. Wrong."

No comments: