Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Two Wheels Are Better Than Four... So Are Six... Or Ten

Lately there have been so many articles in the news about rising gas prices and consumers being pissed off about it. It seems clear in my simple mind that the solution would be to drive less, but what do I know? I mean, no one forced these assholes to live in some suburban cul-de-sac in the far reaches of the urban sprawl zone. Riding the bus into downtown each morning I look out the window at the highway; one hulking mass of vehicle following the other, each carrying ONE occupant, and not a one of them getting past second gear.

If they're going broke they have no one to blame but themselves. They should all be abandoning their autos at the city limits-- drive to the park and ride, drive to the bike way! Better yet, live near the place you work... for Christ's sake people! (And that's not taking the Lord's name in vain in this context because the Pope recently declared polluting a sin.) They're spending hundreds of dollars each month ONLY because they're selfish, self-absorbed, and think somehow that they are too good to ride a bike or a bus. But come the rapture, they'll be the first to perish in the pyre and heaven only has bus stops and bike parking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super commentary, Riotgrrl.

I agree that the happy motoring public is to blame for its own predicament. Nobody told them to go live in McMansions in the boonies, so far from civilization that only unsustainably low gas prices can get their FOX News butts back and forth.

Greed, arrogance and contempt led them to those choices. And now reality's calling. And it's got some very, very bad news for SUV bozos.

As you know, living in a sustainable city with everything in walking distance and great free public transportation to boot, we haven't driven a car in nearly a year. We don't miss it at all!

Linka72 said...

I wish I could say that I ride the bus..but I do happen to live 4 miles from work..but there's no bus running in this neighborhood (that we RENT in) because all the people are STUPID, RICH and drive HUGE SUV's and they would just die if a bus was in their field of vision.
Maybe one day I'll walk...but I'm just so damn lazy!

Cristini P said...

That means you can ride your bike :.D

Really, though, if you find one that works for you it's so awesome. Check out my bike: google "giant suede." Mine is just the basic model. The coolest part is the forward pedal position, which means that my butt is lower to the ground so I can put both feet on the ground at a stop, and then while I'm pedaling I have more power on my push. And the riding position is fully upright so my knees don't hit my tum-tum and I can breathe. $320 well spent!