Saturday, March 24, 2007

BEIGE Epidemic Out of Control in Wealthy Suburbs' Rental Communities! Tenants' Unexpressed Rage Leads to Clinical Depression, Expert Says.

Hubby and I have been tossing around the idea of moving out into the suburbs, so today we spent a few hours looking at apartments. Now I feel like I need another shower. What is with apartments that update their grounds, tile and decorate their foyers, paint the office walls nice colors, but change nothing else?

The apartments we looked at were '70s constuction so I was expecting the sheetrock box look, but what I wasn't expecting were the hideous colors of the apartments. All of them the same: BEIGE walls, BEIGE carpet, BEIGE linoleum, BEIGE cabinets, BEIGE countertops, BEIGE ceiling, BEIGE stove, BEIGE refrigerator, BEIGE shower!!! It's that color that no matter how much you clean it, it still looks sticky and dingy. It's the color you get when you start out white and then somebody smokes a pack a day in a confined area for ten years. Putrid, disgusting, nasy, barf. P.S. they don't allow residents to paint. I guess I won't be giving any of THOSE properties one third of my income every month.

Are those my only two choices? Shitty apartments in nice neighborhoods or cute apartments in shitty areas? The apartment renting for $925 per month was just as outdated and scummy looking as the apartment for $750. But they both outweighed the the apartment renting at $789 in a filthy building that accepts section 8 vouchers located in another ideal neighborhood. I don't mean to sound like a snotty bitch, but I grew up in section 8 buildings all my life and I've worked my ass off so that I never have to again. It's a terrible feeling to know you're safer standing in the middle of the highway than in your own hallway.

But now it's all wrecked anyway because we stopped at Hubby's parents to visit and tell them about the window motor that burned out on the way out there today. In trying to fix the quarter inch gap at the top of the window, Hubby, his dad, and I made it worse so now it only rolls up half way. It's going to cost around $500 on top of the $600 we already owe for leasing the car, so it's a good thing we didn't find an apartment we like.

No comments: