Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cristini P Big Adventure Chapter 2

We've been experiencing a living musical and getting a big kick out of it. I don't know what it's like in the whole of England, but the Cornish burst into song quite frequently and I'm learning a bit about their history in tin mining & fishing by listening. I've never visited any place where the people are truly proud of their home turf and want to show us all their favorite spots.

On Friday we were treated to a delicious dinner after the wedding rehearsal at the Masons Arms. After dinner Jon's uncle led a group in a 3 song candlelit serenade. There wasn't a dry eye in the place.

Next day was the big event - the whole reason for the big journey across the pond. Rachel & Jon were married in Advent Church in Camelford, which was beautiful & charming for it's simplicity. The priest was very funny and warm which made the service very personal & memorable. When he asked if there was anyone present who has a reason that they should not be lawfully wed to speak now, he quickly snapped his book shut & declared, "Well I didn't hear anything!" And during the vows when Rachel & Jon were getting emotional he interrupted the recitation with, "Well now don't start or you'll have me off!" Then at the end when he pronounced them husband and wife, he started with "You may now..." and had us all finish the sentence "...kiss the bride!" which was a cute surprise for Rachel & Jon.

The reception was held at the beautiful Falcon Hotel in Bude. They have a gorgeous garden out back & is located right near the coast. Between the dinner & dessert Pat & I snuck out for a walk to the beach where I got out of my shoes & splashed my bare feet around in the edge of the Atlantic for the first time.

After desert I actually got Pat to slow dance a few songs with me - yes, really! I spent the remainder of the night dancing my hiney off and enjoying the time getting to know Jon's family.

Today was more family time at Jon's uncle's birthday barbecue & beach combing at Polzeath; incredible scenery & the most welcoming hosts. I can't wait to post all the pictures!

No comments: